CLANT is delighted to announce that on 23 June 2016 at 5.30 pm Hon Justice Lex Lasry AM QC of the Supreme Court of Victoria will deliver the Fourth Tony Fitzgerald memorial Lecture at the Northern Territory Library, Darwin. Mark your diaries.
A BIT ABOUT CLANT
The Criminal Lawyers Association of the Northern Territory (CLANT) has almost 100 members in the NT. Through our biennial conference – “the Bali Conference” – we have welcomed many hundreds more criminal lawyers from every jurisdiction in Australia to join us. One of the key features of this website is CLANT's archive of papers, presentations and play-readings given at our biennial conferences over the years.
For over 25 years, CLANT has been an effective and powerful voice for the improvement of the criminal justice system in the Northern Territory, representing both defence lawyers and prosecutors, practitioners from the public sector, the private profession and the independent bar.
In a jurisdiction where offending rates, incarceration rates and recidivism rates are higher, and growing faster, than anywhere else in Australia, there are enormous challenges for the criminal justice system.
The Criminal Lawyers Association of the Northern Territory is strongly committed to addressing these problems. Among our Objects and Purposes are:
- to promote and advance the administration of the criminal justice system and development and improvement of criminal law throughout the Northern Territory
- to actively contribute in public debates in issues relating to the criminal justice system
- to promote and encourage the protection of human rights and compliance with international human rights principles in the Northern Territory
- to promote the professional discourse, development and social interaction amongst the profession
In pursuit of these Objects, CLANT is proud to promote and support a range of campaigns, programs and causes.
- Congrats Felicity Gerry QC
- CDU First Nations Workshop: call for papers
- 15th International Criminal Law Congress
- Chief Minister v Bad Youth
- POSTPONED: Women Lawyers Association CPD 27 May 2016
- 2017 Bali Conference: save the dates!
- Thank God for the Salvos!
- Justice Lex Lasry to deliver Fourth Tony Fitzgerald Lecture
- Local Court reforms commence
- Michael Grant CJ
- Riley CJ farewell dinner: save the date
- Happy New Patron!
- And the winners are... the 2015 Fitzgeralds!
- Domestic and Family Violence Proposals Issues Paper Submission
- The Fitzgeralds: NT Human Rights Awards 10 December 2015